Question Answer Details

If I am married in a foreign country, and my husband ill-treats me for Dowry, can I still file a case against him under the Dowry prohibition Act?

Answered: 9 months ago Category: Dowry

Dowry demand is not just restricted to India. There have been cases where wives have been harassed for Dowry in a foreign country. In such a situation:-


  1. You cannot file a case under the Dowry Prohibition Act 1961. As the application of this Act is limited to all those marriages which take place within India, except J&K.
  2. You should consider invoking the relevant law of the country where you are residing as of now.

Share On:

You may also want to read 5 questions and answers. Click Here

More Question !!

Talk to Expert Now Call Now

LegalKart Talk to expert for asking more questions