How It Works
IP Assignment Agreement
IP Assignment Agreement is a written agreement between two parties in which a property owner (known as assignor) transfers the complete ownership in a subject matter to another party (known as assignee).
All subject matters of the intellectual property rights, such as music, design, artwork, photograph, video, sound, etc. can be assigned by the owner of such material.
The terms of the transfer have to be clearly captured in the agreement to avoid any ambiguity.
Contents of IP Assignment Agreement
A well drafted IP Assignment Agreement contains the following:-
- Details about the subject matter being transferred
- Mode of payment
- Representation and warranty
- Limitation of liability
- Grounds of termination
- Other legal clauses
Laws governing IP Assignment Agreements in India
The different laws which govern various aspects of IP Assignment Agreements in India are as follows:
- The Indian Contract Act, 1872
- Copyright Act, 1957
- Trade Marks Act, 1999
- Design Act, 2000
- Patents Act, 1970
- Competition Act, 2002
- Stamp Duty Act (State specific)
- Senior Expert Lawyers: We will get your document drafted/reviewed by Expert Senior lawyers, skilled in Intellectual Property Laws. You can track the progress of your document on our platform at all times.
- 4.5 Customer Score: Clients are delighted with our service! They have consistently rated us high because of our focus on delivering quality output and providing regular updates.
- Responsible Delivery: Our team of experienced business advisors are just a phone call away. Our team will ensure that your interaction with the expert lawyer is smooth and seamless and the document draft is delivered to you within the committed timeline.
Our standard deliverables for every document drafting includes:
- 60 Minutes of Talk-Time with the Lawyer for drafting/reviewing the Agreement
- First draft of the documents will be delivered to you within a maximum of 2 working days
- Post-delivery of the first draft – Iterations in the master Document to incorporate your suggestions/changes
Frequently Asked Question
Would I retain any right in the property after assigning the same?
No, under Assignment, you will trasnfer all your rights in the subject matter in favour of the assignee.
I want to earn royalty payments through my intellectual property. Should I execute this Agreement?
No. In that case, you should execute Licensing Agreement.
Does this Agreement require to be stamped?
The document has to be stamped according to relevant Stamp Duty Act (which is state specific).
Can I revoke the transfer afterwards?
No. You cannot revoke the transfer unless you include a provision to that effect in the IP Assignment Agreement.
Waht is the difference between licensing and assignment?
The primary difference between the two is that a License allows the Licensor to maintain their rights and interest in their IP, whereas an Assignment transfers all of the Assignors rights to their IP and assigns it to the Assignee.
What our users have to say
I was planning to buy a plot in Nagpur. Before buying the land, I wanted to get all the documents verified and ensure it is free of fraud and forgery. LegalKart undertook every step carefully and their team was very responsive. I am impressed by their professionalism and would highly recommend their service.
Kishore Kamble, Pune
I had purchased a flat in Bangalore. The builder had delayed possession from the committed date. I was paying a high EMI and rent which increased my monthly cash outflow and this left me with no money at the end of the month. I was very stressed and didn’t know what to do. I came across LegalKart and their Property Expert Lawyer advised me to send a legal notice to the Builder and also appeal to the RERA for the delayed possession. I got compensation from the builder for the delay and finally also got possession of my flat.
B. Sivakumar, Bangalore