Question Answer Details

If I am married in a foreign country, and my husband ill-treats me for Dowry, can I still file a case against him under the Dowry prohibition Act?

Answered: 2 years ago Category: Dowry

Dowry demand is not just restricted to India. There have been cases where wives have been harassed for Dowry in a foreign country. In such a situation:-


  1. You cannot file a case under the Dowry Prohibition Act 1961. As the application of this Act is limited to all those marriages which take place within India, except J&K.
  2. You should consider invoking the relevant law of the country where you are residing as of now.

Share On:

You may also want to read 5 questions and answers. Click Here

More Question !!

Talk to Expert Now Call Now

LegalKart Talk to expert for asking more questions
Customer Support
Any Question?
We are here to help. Chat with us on WhatsApp for any queries.